2014 - 2015
These are the E2 Science Standards that the children will be learning this year. They are standards the 5th graders will be tested on during the 5th grade MCA Science test. Any chance you have to reinforce them at home would be wonderful!
Earth Science - Our Changing Earth
This will be taught by the classroom teachers.
August - October
· I can describe changes that take place on Earth to produce soil.
· I can explain the different processes that form the Earth’s surface.
· I can identify uses of Minnesota’s renewable and nonrenewable resources.
· I can explain how natural resources are obtained and processed for use. (126.96.36.199.2)
· I can evaluate the impact of decisions that affect the environment. (188.8.131.52.3)
Earth Science - Rocks
August – October
· I can use evidence to classify rocks and minerals.
· I can measure with accuracy, using the metric system.
Life Science – Diseases, Germs and Defenses
October – December
· I can explain the body’s defense systems
· I can give examples of diseases for which vaccines have been created
Earth Science and Physical Science – Water and Earth
December – February
· I can describe and compare the different properties of matter
· I can explain how states of matter change
· I can explain how heat is transferred.
· I can explain how water collects and moves through the Earth.
· I can describe how water use affects water supply and quality.
Engineering and Earth Science – Environmental Engineering
February - April
· I can describe how an engineering design solution solves problems.
· I can plan how to solve a problem using the engineering design process.
· I can test, evaluate and make improvements to engineering design solutions.
2309 28th Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55406
Telephone: 612.668.4950 | Fax: 612.668.4960